The Duke of Edinburgh Award
What is it?
- The DofE award is a real adventure from beginning to end.
- It is a programme which enables you to gain a well-known qualification. All schools, colleges, universities and work places know about this qualification.
- As it is recognised by a wide range of people, it then puts you in a better position than everyone else when applying for places in colleges etc.
What do you do?
There are 3 different levels to the entire DofE programme. Bronze, Silver and Gold.
For each level, you have to complete at least 3 months activity for the volunteering, physical and skills sections. You also need to choose one of these sections to complete for 6 months, instead of 3. However, you need to be able to prove that you are actually completing these activities, through the leaders of those activities signing your booklets and providing evidence through pictures.
The Bronze level is a 2 day, 1 night expedition. You are all eligible to start and complete this level as you are all 14 or over.
The Silver level is a 3 day, 2 night expedition, plus all the other sections. The majority of you are eligible for this as you are 15.
Why should you do this?
- As mentioned before, you will gain a qualification from this award. You will get a certificate and a nice badge to go with it.
- This award will also help you develop your personal skills such as teamwork and confidence.
- It will get you recognised for completing something in your own time which is great for colleges and universities!
- You will be a lot healthier and fitter after your expedition.
- Speak to Miss Hegarty in room 24 for more details on starting your DofE award.