Year 10 Aston Cup Final

Perry Beeches under 15 squad had beaten a number of quality teams on route to the final. The semi-final proved tough, with a narrow 3-2 victory over St John Wall.  Holte had progressed to the final of the competition by scoring 11 goals and conceding none.  It was obvious therefore that this was going to be a close game.

The weather was awful.  Just before kick off the heavens opened and the wind blew straight across the pitch from one goal to the other.  Having won the toss Perry Beeches selected to kick with the wind.  The game started off with both sides having early chances and each side matching up well.  As Perry Beeches settled they began playing the better football with quick one-two’s and good movement off the ball.  Callum Allcock and James Medford both supplying good crosses into the box.

Perry Beeches started to take more control of the game, winning headers, tackles and creating opportunities.  Holte looked stunned and were unable to clear their lines for any sustained period of time.  Perry Beeches’ dominance was almost rewarded when Callum Allcock broke free through the centre and placed the ball past the goalkeeper towards the corner of the goal.  Unsure if it was going wide Treyvarn Thomas-Harris put the ball into the net only to be ruled offside.

Several more shots and crosses were fired at the Holte goal but the sustained pressure didn’t bring the break through that was deserved.  Without warning Holte got the ball forward quickly and managed to get a player through one and one with the goalkeeper.  It looked almost certain to be a goal until Scott Bissell pulled out a fantastic full stretch save, diving to his right to keep the score 0-0. This rallied Perry Beeches and drove them forward with more urgency.  This increased effort and tempo proved the turning point.  With some slick one two passing on the right between Stephen Exall and Conner Share the ball was delivered brilliantly from right to left beating every defender. James Medford made a brilliant run from the left to arrive just in time to meet the ball with a first time half volley, superbly lifting the ball over the oncoming keeper.  1-0 to Perry Beeches.

Although sustained pressure continued from Perry Beeches, the team were unable to find another breakthrough. The first half had been won, but a bigger test was to come.  Holte now had the advantage of the wind. The back four continued to impress, following out their instruction to the letter.  Jack Attwood and Kashif Hussian dealt with everything through the centre calmly and comfortably.  Tyrese Chritchlow-Wowo and Ricardo Morgan broke down almost every attack wide and released the wingers with accurate and well-timed passes.  Javan Anderson, whom had been a rock in holding midfield during the first half, raised his game even higher.  Thwarting several promising attacks by closing down space early, recovering quickly and refusing to give up.

The whole team defended superbly throughout the half and every attack resulted in only frustration for Holte.  As the final whistle approached, Perry Beeches created three more good chances, with the final one coming in the last couple of minutes.  Tyrese set James Medford free down the left and then creatively beat his opponent before firing a precision cross into the box.  Treyvarn had made a brilliant run to meet the cross and made good contact on the ball as the defender slide in.  The ball agonisingly flew wide of the far post.

As time ran out Holte tried to throw everything at the Perry Beeches defence but with fresh legs of Kane Brookes and Jordan Ebanks on to help take the sting out of the game Perry Beeches triumphed.

The whole team deserved the win for their dedication to training, there application of the tactics they were given and the skill and determination they showed throughout the game.

Well done Year 10, were all very proud.